Saturday, June 09, 2007

I like going to the Cave des Gobelins, which is a shop devoted solely to selling wines. We also have Nicolas and another Cave, but they are much further away. And then the supermarkets. Our French teacher came over, looked skeptically at the wines I had picked at random from Monoprix (Target-lite), and said, "when I was younger I could drink crap wine like that but now my stomach won't let me". Thank you for your insight, kind sir.

So I've gone to the Cave of the Gobelins a couple times now. It's great because it serves the double purpose of getting a good wine, but since I don't know much about wine, I also get to practice speaking and hearing French. I ask for a recommendation or advice and they ask me what I'm eating, if I'm eating tonight, what price range I'd be willing to pay. Yesterday, the guy told me I spoke very good French. I told him not to worry about being nice, I would come back again. But both times, his recommendations have been very good including a nice Chardonnay, a variety I usually don't like. Coupled with the fact that chicken is a poor man's food, I usually don't drink much of it.

No comments: