Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You Vote

I am proposing a way to

  1. Highlight some of the differences between living in America and Paris
  2. Give you a chance to vote on what kind of life you would want if you had the choice!
  3. Offer a glimpse into the real life of a person living in Paris. Not a tourists' life.
So if I can get my act together...I will try to post once a week about one difference and you can vote which you prefer! Post your votes in the Comments Section!

First UP:

GROCERY SHOPPING

Option 1 - USA: Buy everything you need under one roof for reasonable prices. You usually can buy a week's worth of groceries saving you trips during the week and your fridge holds it all.

Place all your groceries into your car and drive directly to the door of your house where you unload your groceries. While it is quite convenient, your food is not as fresh (even produce) or is quite processed.

Option 2 - Paris: You must grocery shop at least 2-3 times a week because your fridge is half the size of an American fridge. At times, you must go to 2-3 different shops for the food you need for dinner. Food is much more expensive, but the quality and taste are really outstanding if you know where to go. Add in a weekly market trip too where you buy A-M-A-Z-I-N-G produce for good prices...but must do it in French. AND market is not everyday. It only occurs 3 mornings a week.

You must carry all of your groceries either on you, in a caddy, or hang it off your stroller because, yes, if you have young children who are not in school or at the babysitter's...they are coming with you. You walk 5-10 minutes with all your groceries and your children to your apartment.

I prefer Option 2 -Paris.

Which do you prefer?

7 comments:

kel said...

I also prefer option 2. I have actually sort of been doing that here lately, though not to that extent. There is a great produce market close to us (which john calls the "fruit and vegetable zoo" because he finds all kinds of things he's never heard of before) so I get everything I can there, a few organic things at Trader Joe's, and then the rest at the regular grocery store. If you can deal with making that many trips, I think it's definitely the way to go!

Linda Alyce said...

Number 2. Don't forget the special trip to le Bon Marche to get products like Hellmans mayo, black beans, and orange cheddar cheese.

Thunderbird said...

i am an option 1 person overall, as i don't enjoy "shopping" for groceries. i don't mind the occasional 5-10 minute trip if we need a thing or two. you can see this differs from my wife, but i would rather wander around a record store for 45 minutes than be shopping around for 45 minutes for food.

i did enjoy the zoo, though. i tried an asian apple pear and found out what kumquats are.

Tracy said...

I agree, option 2! I've been trying to hit up the farmer's market here for more fresh and local produce and meat, then Whole Foods for organic/less processed or more local produce and meat, and then HEB for staples. It seems worth it and better for the local economy to support local growers and the quality is SO much better.

Yes, I'm on my way to becoming an Austin hippie, and I'm enjoying it! :o) We've even been making more of our own things when possible - so far bread, granola bars, desserts, and other random stuff. Next experiments will be spaghetti sauce and cheese from scratch!!

THE MOM said...

Option 2
Enough said.

phuong said...

I am so impressed with all of your shopping habits in the States! So different than what I remember.

If I didn't know anybody who commented, I would be surprised that the username "Thunderbird" had a wife.

Linda, had no idea Le Bon Marche had black beans. Changed my life.

Bill said...

I prefer Costco. One stop, one box, one month of food. :)