Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Have to

I have to post this. I have to because I want to!

Now, if you don't care for photography at all, DO NOT READ THIS POST. If you do, continue.

I have some readers who, very much like me, are struggling to learn more about how to take good pictures. Who would have thought a little black handheld box would be so difficult? The longer I take pictures and the more I fiddle with settings, the more I realize how much I DO NOT KNOW.

Here's my newest realization:
DSLR - you cannot completely trust its metering. You can use it's meter as a guide, but in the end, it is YOU and your artistic eye that determines what exposure is best.

It's aggravating. So, here is an example:

In Aperture priority, I took this picture of Michael on Omaha Beach...the camera set it up to be "well exposed." Well, I disagree. This picture is too DARK:
Angrily, I threw it in manual, exposed it to be 2 bars too bright (over exposed) and I like the results much better. Maybe a little blown out in parts? But overall, a well lit image!
I prefer it much more to my previous "correct" one.

So for those who have a DSLR, I challenge all of us, to quit using Aperture priority or Auto and throw the dang thing in manual.

And then, do what all professional photographers do...doctor it in photoshop! Cheating, but this is what sells lately.
Ok, that's it. Discuss if you want. Disagree, don't disagree? Post results of your manual vs. camera determined exposed shots. Whatever. Just wondering who is willing to talk to me about this. That's it. I am thinking it's going to be 1 person. 2 Max.

3 comments:

Kim Kropka said...

I still really like aperature priority. If it's too dark, I'll cheat by starting in A-priority, seeing what the camera does, then going to manual and slowing the shutter speed a little. Does your camera let you opt between full frame metering, center-weighted, and spot metering? The D80 does, sometimes that helps.

Linda Alyce said...

I stick with P. It was used almost exclusively with the photographers I worked with in AZ and TX. I like how my photos can be altered so much with ISO, white balance, etc. Sticking with P.
2 comments!

phuong said...

Kim, it doesn't matter what kind of metering it does if your camera tends to meter dark. It will meter dark whether it is full frame, center weighted or spot. In the pictures I posted, it was an overcast day, so the light is the same throughout, thus the type of metering won't help too much.

Linda, what's the difference between P and manual?