Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tokyo

I have really enjoyed this post, written by an American photographer in Tokyo:


Interesting recap of what the city is like after the earthquake.

It's crazy to me to see this, especially since Brian was just in Tokyo 3 weeks ago. It could have been him there, stuck far from us. And I am really glad he's safe at home.

One other thought I'd like to throw out there.

I'm really irritated at Apple's recent introduction of the iPad2. Seriously? The iPad just came out around when we got back from France. So that was less than a year and a half ago.

Do Americans REALLY need another NEW version of this thing? I know it's cool - but honestly?

After living in France - it is SO glaringly apparent how the American society is driven on the "I want it now, " and "Ooo!! New tech toy - I HAVE TO HAVE IT!"

And I find it incredibly embarrassing. When I'm in my French teacher's apartment where they don't own an oven or a bed frame for their mattress. When I'm staring at all those images of people in Tokyo. It's a humbling thing to see.

Am I saying that I am morally better than everyone else in America? Hardly. I am guilty of it too. We have a flat screen TV. I have a mac computer. We own smartphones.

When we got back from France - well, we had a little catching up to do right? We actually needed a TV, reinstated cell phone plans, and a new computer. Anyone who visited us in Paris knew our laptop screen died and we just hooked it up to a borrowed monitor (or the TV) instead of buying a new computer. For 1.5 years.

However, we ARE different because we won't be replacing our gadgets with the newest or "must have" items. We'll have our items until it dies. We'll use our cell phones until they die - not until the next best thing comes out.

Sorry, I had to rant and rave a bit. It just seems to me - to read in the headlines about the debut of ipad2 alongside the devastation in Japan - that something just didn't line up for me.


3 comments:

kel said...

i agree! in boston - i guess partially because like paris it is EXPENSIVE to live there so nobody has money for anything - people were just not materialistic at all. at least not the people we knew because none of us had any money! that was one of the things i was worried about when first started talking about moving back to texas. it is SO bad here. we are trying to make a real effort to still live like we lived in boston because frankly all of this stuff just seems silly now.

Brandi said...

I totally agree. I remember seeing women at the grocery store in New York paying with food stamps while texting on their iPhones. I definitely think America's youth in particular has a serious issue with priorities and the difference between wants and needs.

phuong said...

Preach it!

Kel - I know EXACTLY what you are talking about spending in Texas! When I was there last February, I went to the Coach outlet store, which was having an add't 20% off. It was so crowded, you would have thought they were GIVING the purses away. One lady had like 10 purses on her arm! My dad and I just watched the mayhem in amazement. People in TX just have a lot more disposable income than in other parts of the country!

Brandi - that's crazy - people paying for groceries with gov't funding but have iphones. What is the world coming to? You know we're old when we can say "America's youth!" :) I know exactly what you mean. I see the difference in Michael over here. He sees a Nintendo DS, he wants one. He sees a new game for Wii, he wants that! I just want to go back to the old days where we just wanted to go to the park and have confit de canard for lunch. Instead, I have to have battles every day about playing on my iphone or wanting to go to the Apple store to play on the ipad or playing Wii. I just want to box it all up and send it back to Japan or wherever it's made.