Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Division et al

Yesterday, Michael and I went to the library as Monday is library day at school so I decided to continue it to our "after school activity."

Michael always loves to play the chess set there.  He is getting better and better, shouldn't be too long before he beats me.

Yesterday, he picked up multiplication and division bingo and asked me to play with him.  I said, "Hmm...I'm not sure you are old enough."  To which he said, "Well, how old do you have to be?  I can multiply already."

Ok - so we played it.  Because more often than not, Michael will surprise me and be able to completely do something that I didn't expect him to be able to do.

And sure enough - he has started dividing.

I started with an easy one:  "9 divided by 3 equals..."

Silence.

"How many groups of 3 make nine? "

"Easy, Mom!  Three!"

"OK, so nine divided by three equals?"

"Three!"

We did 25 divided by 5.  12 divided by 1.  14 divided by 2.  He got all of them right except that last one, but he thought about it a second time and got it right then.

SO yea - he dominated that multiplication/division bingo.  Multiplication definitely comes easier to him, just as addition is much more natural to him than subtraction.

Between the chess and the math, I better be prepared to have a little nerd on my hands.  We'll start watching The Big Bang Theory together from now on.

Downton Abbey Season 1 is ready for me to pickup at the library!!  Woot!

But I'm still 77th out of 117 holds for Homeland.  At least there are 25 copies of it!


1 comment:

Brandi said...

You are totally making me feel like I need to be cracking a math whip with my little guy! Or, let Chris crack a whip... Cause I'm not that awesome at math myself ;) That is super impressive that M can do division!!!!!! Go Mom!