Thursday, January 21, 2010

I Miss Paris. A>LOT

Very ridiculous post. Skip if you have much better things to do. I am sure you do.

So I knew I would miss Paris...but I never knew how much. TO think I might not ever go back there to live. In my head, I still say, "Next time we're back in Paris, I need to get ______."

Like we're going back soon.

And now, I see French stuff everywhere. An article in Martha Stewart Living deconstructing Cassoulet. Yes, it deserves a capital C. And oh how I miss my French ingredients. My cooking is not the same.

SO I am in constant search of my "french life." The other day, I bought cucumbers from Costco because they were from England and the most like the gigantic cucumbers I used to eat in France.

I buy my yogurt from Trader Joe's because it's the most like the French yogurt. Yoplait just tastes like something manufactured instead of food.

I think along the way, I am going to post random posts about things I miss that I didn't expect. I had a moment the other day and now I can't remember what it was. It was something small.

Like...I miss walking up Avenue des Gobelins towards Rue Mouffetard on a Sunday to go to church, buy things for market, and walking back home. And now I can post about it because we don't live there anymore.

I love the Chinese rotisserie chicken guy who seasoned his chicken with Chinese 5 spice so it was as good as getting Chinese barbeque.

I miss getting all bundled up with a sweater, scarf, coat, gloves, hat, etc for the cold because we'd be walking. Now, I just wear a coat, run to my car, and then run to the store.

I miss walking.

I miss walking around with crumbs down my clothes all the time because I was always eating a pastry or a baguette.

I miss my vacation in the Southwest of France. I think that was my favorite one. People ask me all the time about my favorite vacation...and I usually list about 3. But I think I have a winner now.

I apparently don't want to go to bed if I am blogging about this at 12:14am.

I REALLY miss the Senko bakery on the street that runs to the right of the American church. They make an AMAZING ratatouille that I need to start working on to recreate it.

I think that's the thing I miss the most. The food. More than anything else. The vacations and the food. I am constantly wondering where I'll find the ingredients I need and what they will taste like.

Ok, that's enough. I need to go to bed.
P

2 comments:

Robin said...

I am sorry to hear you miss it so. It is nice to get an idea of what I am in store for when we return later this year. I think you enjoyed Paris more then we enjoyed Norway but I know it will be a big adjustment that only an expat can understand :) I hope you can find some good ingredients and keep adjusting to the reverse culture shock....

Tracy Price said...

So far, I haven't missed anything...but it's fun to read about what you're missing.