Saturday, January 08, 2011

Tartiflette


With the snow - the cold weather - the snow...it's a tartiflette kind of night.

Especially since we have been ransacking as many cheese shops on the East coast that we can for reblochon cheese...

Tartiflette is a fattening concoction native to the Savoie region in France, which is known for its snow/skiing/etc. It consists of potatoes, cheese, white wine, sour cream, bacon, and caramelized onions.

If you are interested in making this artery clogging item - click here for picture instructions:
http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l/fr/recettes/tartiflette_ill.html

With the pictures, it's pretty easy to follow, I think. If you would like any translations, e-mail me. (I don't expect anyone to be doing this - but in case any one wanted to).

Culinary Goals for the year:
  1. P: Get much better at making a pot of pho.
  2. P: Attempt cassoulet - I'm hoping it's good the first time.
  3. P: Cook more Asian dishes - especially since I have a rice cooker now.
  4. B: Perfect baguette recipe to get the right flavor
  5. B: Learn how to make pate from scratch.

Off to boil potatoes, caramelize onions, and saute bacon...

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Holy stromboli. I must eat whatever that cheesy thingy is. Was it good? Was it hard to make? Cause I got Julia Child's cookbook after that whole movie excitement and it intimidates me. I feel like Julia is sitting on my kitchen cart next to Paula Deen taunting me. In French.

Bill said...

That sounds like glorified au gratin potatoes. Simply fabulous.

Does Brian really want to make pate from scratch? I mean, does anyone really want to know what is in pate? Perhaps that is just my unrefined palatte talking.