Saturday, March 22, 2014

Strawberry Pickin' - June 5, 2013

One of our FAVORITE traditions to do every year come late spring/summer is to go to our local farm to go strawberry picking, Walnut Springs Farm!!

They grow raspberries, blackberries, rhubarb, strawberries - fresh and all you can pick.  

Doesn't that picture make you want to get your strawberry-jelly-preserving-jam-on?  

Michael loves strawberry picking.  For about 10 minutes.  In that time, you will net about 20 strawberries in your basket.  Then, it's WHINE city.  But I got this picture before he got started:

For whatever reason that day, I came up with the ingenious suggestion that he should be my "Strawberry Train!"  We both had baskets, but I needed mine to be empty so that I could collect strawberries.  He could be the strawberry train and transport the strawberries from my full basket to his empty one.

It worked.  For nearly an hour, Michael transported strawberries, 2-5 at a time, while saying, "Choo choo!!"

And at the end, he told me:  "Mommy, that wasn't very fun until I became the strawberry train.  After that, I had a great time."

Let it be known, that this moment was probably my most creative mommy moment to date.  And the rewards of being creative and helping your kids to find something fun to do is worth it for the both of you!

Let it also be known, that's the ONLY time in my 7 years of being a mom that I remember being creative instead of yelling, "Well - you can either complain about your situation or find something fun to do.  Now GO and quit your complaining!"

Michael got this picture of me being a migrant worker:

It was a fun and sunny day, and we picked about 3 pounds of strawberries!!!

No comments: