Friday, June 08, 2012

Texas Part One

We had a super fantastic 6 days in Texas.  Compared to our yearly pilgrimage to Texas for a month duration, the 6 days just FLEW by!

We were so excited to see my Mom for both her 60th birthday AND Mother's Day.

My parents picked us up from the airport and we had to immediately stop at the Asian super market (they have 3 within 5 minutes drive of them *super jealous am I*).  Upon driving up, I see the sign for:

"Live Crawfish."

Awwww yeaaaahhh...

One phone call to Brian later and we decided to have a crawfish boil the day Brian flew into town.

Here's Michael with his first up close look at a "mudbug":


This was just ONE small bowl of crawfish.  We bought 35 lbs.  For 4.5 people.  Go big or go home:

We sat down to some serious grubbin':

Michael is a brave one:

Baby Cat won't eat enchiladas or mexican food or a TON of other things.  But he gave crawfish a go!

I even heard him tell someone, "You have to suck the heads too."

NICE.  It is so interesting how he won't eat bell peppers.  But he'll eat crab, crawfish, fish sauce, cha lua (asian ham), all sorts of hard to eat Asian food.  Goes to show you some of your taste buds are inherited!

My dad seems to never age:

My mom either!  Look at her chowin' down.  Look at my DIY-er Mom strippin' her wall paper down!  So proud of the kitchen remodel she has started!

For the first part of our trip, we hung out with my mom and dad and they spent some great quality time with Michael.  He ate 6 bowls of pho in 2 days.  He just LOVES my mom's cookin'.  I can't hold a candle to it!


No comments: