Thursday, January 10, 2013

November 18th: Breadmaking Sundays

We are not disciplined enough to have weekly traditions!  :)

However, one of our weekend "traditions" is to make baguettes.  We received the recipe from a French family who we were friends with and lived in our apartment block - Chrystelle and Francois.

Her dad was a boulanger and she gave Brian this super easy recipe to make bread.  

Brian once asked our British friend, Larry, why the Brits drink so much tea.  And he said, "Because it's so darn easy to make."

He feels the same rings true for a baguette!

We loved Chrystelle's super easy recipe, and she also inspired another equally easy and tasty French dish, which we named "Porc a la Chrystelle." It is just pork braised with potatoes, leeks, carrots, and zucchini in a nice broth.  Perfect with a baguette!  And a nice easy weeknight favorite especially in the winter.

I had to take pictures.  One day, I am going to make a real book of it.  With the recipe, pictures and step by step instructions with Brian and Michael doing it.  With my nice camera and not my D50!  :)

Here they are getting everything all mixed up and yeast solution added:


Michael is a dedicated apprentice:


Michael needed a snack.  His favorite:  Raspberries.  If Michael ever asks me why I can't afford to pay for his books in college, I'm going to tell him it's because I bought him raspberries to eat while he was a kid:

 While the bread rises, Michael and Brian decided to play in the leaves. It was dark!

First jump:

Do you ever stop loving your kid?  :)

Getting thrown in:

I just like his smile here.  It is much more rare to get a genuine smile as he gets older for the camera!

Michael getting ready...

To do this!

Back inside to get the bread ready:

I love his little hands in this picture!

And voila - a Sunday at our house.

I can't believe I'm nearly two months behind in blogging!



2 comments:

Brandi said...

Holy nuts! I need to make bread!

Brandi said...

And buy your cookbook ;)